360 Degree Virtual Tour of the New York Stock Exchange
The history of the New York Stock Exchange begins with the signing of the Buttonwood Agreement by twenty-four New York City stockbrokers and merchants on May 17, 1792, outside 68 Wall Street under a Buttonwood tree.
In 1903, the Exchange moved into its present home at 18 Broad st, a building of neoclassic design by architect George B. Post, with a trading floor measuring 109 x 140 feet and marble walls rising 72 feet to meet the ornate gilt ceiling, at the time, one of the grandest spaces in the nation. Today, the NYSE building is considered one of Post’s masterpieces and is a New York City and national landmark.
[sampano file=”new-york-stock-exchange-1″ title=”New York Stock Exchange Bell Podium :: NYC”]
One of the most familiar features of the New York Stock Exchange is the loud, distinctive Trading Floor bell. the Opening Bell signals the beginning of trading each business day and the Closing Bell signals the ending of trading each business day.
Bells were introduced when continuous trading was instituted in the 1870s. Originally, a Chinese Gong was used, but brass bells have been used since 1903.
note – these images of the NYSE trading floor & bell podium may not be used for any purpose without the express written consent of the NYSE and permission from the photographer