Originally built in 1935, the Hayden Planetarium was rebuilt in 2000 as part of the Rose Center for Earth & Space, itself part of the American Museum of Natural History

The Center houses one of the most sophisticated space projectors in the world, the Zeiss Mark IX, and the Digital Dome System, consisting of an SGI Onyx 2 computer and a Trimension video display with 7 coordinated Barco 12″ Cathode Ray Tube high resolution video projectors